Vision and Principles
THE EDUCATIONAL VISION OF THE SISTERS OF NOTRE DAME
Impelled by Jesus Christ and his mission and our rich educational heritage, we provide a Catholic-Christian environment of educational excellence for the transformation of individuals and society.
We form persons who are skilled and committed to journey together in hope as witnesses and catalysts for the responsible care of all God’s creation and for justice and peace, especially for those on the margins of society.
1) THE CENTRALITY OF A GOOD AND PROVIDENT GOD
- We are grounded in the Word of God and share this source of light and strength.
- We cultivate a sense of the sacred and search for transcendence that leads to a deeper meaning in life.
- We integrate the teachings and values of Jesus in all aspects of our educational ministry.
- We provide religious and moral education to develop an integrated spirituality for global citizenship.
- We initiate and deepen the faith formation of Christians through a variety of specific programs and experiences.
- We promote a spirit of dialogue with diverse cultures and religions and are open to mutual enrichment.
- We live a simple Gospel lifestyle and educate for solidarity so that all may enjoy the blessings of the earth.
- We commit ourselves through selfless serving to be bearers of hope to a world in need.
2) THE HUMAN DIGNITY OF EACH PERSON AS AN IMAGE OF GOD
- We appreciate, respect, and reverence the uniqueness of each individual and the diversity among all persons.
- We actively support a holistic education that encourages a positive sense of self-worth and the full development of the person.
- We reverence the image of God in each person we encounter through respectful listening and availability.
- We create a welcoming atmosphere that builds relationships leading to unity and community.
- We provide opportunities and environments to help persons to claim and regain their human dignity, identity, and self-worth.
3) EDUCATOR AS A GOSPEL WITNESS
- We follow Jesus, our Master Teacher, and give witness to his spirit of compassion, hope, and joy, especially to those who experience poverty in its various forms.
- We nurture the Notre Dame charism, spirit, and mission among ourselves as educators and among all with whom we work.
- We reverence Mary, the Woman of Hope, who made visible the glad tidings of the Gospel.
- We share the rich spiritual and educational heritage of the Sisters of Notre Dame by using opportunities for ongoing formation and professional growth.
- We promote collaborative programs and processes that assure the continuity of the excellence of Notre Dame education through our commitment, competence, and dedication.
- We affirm that goodness supported by firmness is a characteristic mark of our educational heritage.
- We create clean, orderly, and attractive surroundings to provide a safe environment conducive to learning and respectful of all.
4) AN INTEGRATED EDUCATION FOR TRANSFORMATION
- We ensure thoroughness of instruction that is rooted in Gospel values, the Social Teachings of the Church, and an understanding of complex word realities.
- We provide an integrated education, one that leads people to full human life in relation to themselves, God, others, and all of creation.
- We create the environment to develop value-based leadership skills and the ethical use of communications media and technology.
- We form students to be reflective critical thinkers and life-long learners who have the determination to influence systemic and structural change.
- We nurture in ourselves and others an ongoing commitment to act with preferential care and love on behalf of those who are poor and marginalized, especially women and children.
- We transform our institutions to be centers of non-violence, compassion, and justice and give personal and corporate witness to peace-building and the responsible care of creation.